What Are Some Common Healthcare Obstacles and Ideas for Addressing Them?
- If you do not have health insurance or are worried about paying your copays, there are several online resources and advocacy groups that can help.
- If transportation is a challenge, talk to your healthcare team about finding a place to be treated closer to home. There are also organizations who provide free transportation to and from treatment.
- If you and your healthcare team don’t speak the same language, ask for materials in the language you are most comfortable with and a translator to join you for appointments.
What Can I Do to Get the Best Care Possible?
- Let your healthcare team and family know if something is getting in the way of you receiving the care you need.
- Make use of your whole healthcare team. Each member is there to help you throughout your journey.
- Involve a friend or loved one in your care.
Sometimes there are challenges that may stop you from getting good care, feeling empowered, or making decisions with your healthcare team. However, there are things you CAN do to address these challenges.
Resources to Help You Navigate Healthcare Obstacles*
Financial and/or Health Insurance Support
- American Cancer Society: Financial and Insurance Matters
- Patient Advocate Foundation: National Financial Resource Directory
- PAN Foundation: We’re Here to Help
- CDC: Tips for Managing the Cost of Cancer Treatment
Emotional and Mental Health Support
- CanCare: Providing Hope to Those Facing Cancer
- Cancer Support Community: Community is Stronger than Cancer
- CDC: Helping Cancer Patients and Survivors Stay Mentally and Emotionally Healthy
- Empowered Health: What does it Take to be Empowered?
- Patient Empowerment Network: Take Control of Your Cancer Journey
Support for the Hispanic Community
Public Health Support
*This list of resources is provided for informational purposes only. The Empowered Health program and PEN do not endorse the content, operators, products, or services of such applications and websites and are not responsible directly or indirectly for any damages or injury caused by or in connection with use of any content, products, or services available through third-party applications and websites. As always, be sure to talk with your health care team about any questions you may have about information you find.
To view more Resource Guides and Videos, please visit EmpoweredHealth.org.
The program was created through a collaboration between Patient Empowerment Network and Empowered Health, a partnership between the CDC Foundation and Amgen Oncology, with technical support from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). ©2022